Tuesday 29 October 2013

Is the summer heat making your face melt off??? My Tips/Tricks for keeping your make-up on and flawless ;) :)

Hey Blog Readers! 
images
HAPPY FRIDAY!! 
I hope everyone had a great week! and wishing everyone an even better weekend!! :)
I've been living in the L.A. heat for a little while now and I don't always wear make-up here (it's pointless for sunbathing, hiking and stuff like that) but on the day's when I have an audition or something to attend, like a pool party, I do want to look my best..which lets face it takes a little make-up enhancing! but when the sun is pelting down it is difficult to keep your make-up looking fresh and to stop it from melting off, streaking and patching! (which no one needs to be told..is not a good look!)
images
I hear that the weather is great in Ireland at the minute too so I thought I'd give you a couple of tips and tricks to help you to keep your make-up on in the sun wherever you are!
7236_598979800125659_259804086_n
MY TIPS & TRICKS:
Tip 1) Avoid melting disasters and don't go over-board on day-time summer make-up! In the above photo I do have a lot of eyeliner (waterproof) to define the eyes but apart from that the rest of my make-up isn't heavy... I saw a couple of pictures of a group of girls on holiday's and they had full-blown black&brown smoky eye make-up with heavy foundation, contouring, powder and DOUBLE eyelashes!! all while they were on a beach-now these girls always look great but it did look a bit ridiculous and like a disaster waiting to happen with that hot sun!
I'm guilty of attempting to wear glued on fake lashes to the mansion the other day... where there was a slip and slide (you get completely soaked) and more fool me! because one eyelash started hanging off and it looked horrendous so I had to pull both off!
So my tip would be LESS IS MORE in the sun! keep it fresh, glowy and natural!
Go for this... 
images (3)
Instead of this...
images (2)
TIP 2)  Wear a good Primer! Like a painter needs a good canvas the same could be said for your skin and your make-up! Nobody's skin is completely perfect because we all have pores etc... a Primer puts a thin layer between your foundation and your skin and provides a base that is perfect for the application of make-up and gives the appearance of "perfect skin" at any age!

BENEFITS OF MAKEUP PRIMER

  • Creates a smooth base for your makeup
  • Evens out skin tone and disguises flaws
  • Reduces inflammation and redness
  • Hydrates and nourishes skin
  • Reduces oil and shine
  • Helps fill in wrinkles and fine lines
  • Makes pores appear smaller
Primer sets the make-up and extends your foundation's life.. making it more "melt-proof". It puts a stop to unsightly creases and streaks. It can also control shine and prevent make-up from flaking!
There are a variety of primers available- these differ in price range and according to skin type&preference! for example moisturising or drying, tinted or transparent etc...
I tend to stick with transparent primers and the one  I use is actually very cheap and available in Penneys!
I've used a variety of different primers but for the last while I have stuck with 'Prime and Fine' by Catrice.. I really like this one and my attitude is "If it ain't broke don't fix it" so I'll be sticking with this one for the foreseeable future!
download
It's got a mouse-gel like texture and comes in a little pot for under €10! The pot goes a long way and as long as you remain sanitary while using it (always wash your hands and use a clean brush to scoop out/apply) then you should have no problems with this product! It glides on effortlessly and leaves your skin feeling poreless, perfect and soft!
Although the over-all look of the product is different the resulting feel and result with regards to foundation application is very comparable with Gosh Velvet Touch Primer.
GOSH-VELVET-TOUCH-FOUNDATION-PRIMER
I like both brands but the Catrice is more of a bargain! 
A primer that I would not rush out to buy again is NO.7 Shine Free primer...
download (1)
This is more of a liquid primer but I was not impressed at all-it left my skin feeling flaky and horrible and I didn't like it's constancy! In general I do like no.7 but this particular product is a fail in my books!

HOW TO APPLY PRIMER

Using a makeup primer creates a smooth surface and flawless-looking skin. Apply it after you put on moisturizer, but before you apply your foundation.
Apply your primer all over your face, or just to the areas where your makeup doesn't usually last -- nose, chin and eyelids.
Use a very small amount and apply to your skin with your fingertips, blending thoroughly.
Wait a few minutes after application before putting on your foundation to allow the primer to sink in and create a smooth surface.
TRICK: An added trick that you can use to keep your make-up on all day and night is to apply some Milk of Magnesia to the skin before make-up! I can hear the HUH? and What?'s now.... :P
can-i-give-my-dog-milk-of-magnesia
Believe it or not Milk of Magnesia (that you can buy in your local food store or chemist) is an excellent make-up primer and great for the skin!
I found this YouTube video of a girl showing you how to use Milk of Magnesia as a primer :)

Milk of Magnesia matifies the skin and is also perfect when taking pictures as it stops the flash from making your skin look oily and shiny! It keeps your make-up on all day and it is an excellent product all around! Brilliant in the summer time heat! 
Tip 3) Water-proof your make-up! with trips to the beach and pool a staple of summer holidays you definitely don't want to go out looking pretty and come home with raccoon eyes!
images (4)

To make sure this doesn't happen stick with Waterproof products!
I use Essence "Get BIG lashes" waterproof mascara! I like this product no.1 because it's waterproof so it won't budge or smudge throughout the day but also because I love it's big thick brush! -I find thi gives my lashes extra volume and definition!
images (5)
In terms of eyeliner I just recently started using Urban Decay's 24/7 glide on eyeliner in 'Perversion'! I must say I am a huge fan! It glides on effortlessly and like a coal pencil but once it's on it stays in place and you won't get any movement from this product once applied! The only down-side to the product is that it does tend to need topping quite a lot!
urban decay eyeliner perversion 24 7 glide on blackest black colour makeup blog looks fotd eotd beauty reviews ingredients use swatches
TRICK: A setting spray is the best tip that I can give you! A setting spray is used after you apply all of your make-up and you're ready to go out the door! a quick spray of the setting spray and you are good to go for the day and night as it locks your make-up in place and in a sense water-proofs it... a setting spray will fight against sweat, water and any other form of heat or substance that would otherwise ruin your make-up! It is also extremely handy as it means you don't need to bring as much make-up with you as a top-up! A lip stick or lip balm and you're good to go!
Tip 4) Make sure the setting spray you invest in lives up to the hype.... get a good one!
I use 'all nighter' by Urban decay! I have just started using it since I came to L.A. and it will now forever be a staple in my make-up kit! :) it makes the skin look fresh and glowy, stops foundation or powder from caking and most importantly makes your make-up last!! I trust urban decay and they have a setting spray to suite everyone!
Urban-Decay-Makeup-Setting-Spray-De-Slick-All-Nighter-Dew-Me
Below is a night-time make-up look that I wore to the 6th Annual Toast to Urban Music Executives in Beverly Hills!
Myself and Steve Lobel
I hope this blog has been helpful! and I hope everyone is enjoying the summer and the summer sunshine!
Remember I'm on facebooktwitterkeekYouTubeInstagram and all that good stuff! @ShahiraBarry! follow me to keep up to date with what I'm doing in L.A., modelling and my life in general :)
Pick up the August issue (IN STORES NOW) of RSVP Magazine! to read a two page interview with me! :) 

yup my name's spelt wrong here :( but it's right in the article which is the main thing! :)

Thanks for stopping by and have a FAB weekend!x!
Lots of Love, 
Shahira Xo
logo2
If your company would like a review or specific blog-post on a product, treatment, service or any other item to appear on www.shahirabarry.com email info@shahirabarry.com with the details.

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig