Thursday 3 April 2014

My first experience with Laser hair removal - Week 1

Please Note: Unfortunately this post was one of the blogs (pre.28th of July 2014) that suffered a 'Blogger' crash.. which saw all images vanishing! I have tried to replace the images from the crash as best as I can. However images of me with products etc.. may be lost as a result and therefore the images you see may not match the text(which is original and was not effected by the crash). My blog has therefore had to start fresh and all blogs starting from July 29th 2014 are correct with the appropriate, original and correct images but unfortunately the same can not be said for images lost in posts before this date. Apologies for any inconvenience caused. Shahira xo

Hey Blog Readers!

How is everyone?... HAPPY Weekend!
Spring is in the air! :)


Ok so during the week I had my first laser hair removal appointment with The Galway Laser and Skin Care Clinic on the Tuam Road (above Laura Ashley). I know laser hair removal is something that interests a lot of people these days (like myself) so I thought I'd keep you posted here on my blog about my experience and the results I see as the treatments progress (6 treatments in total).

As you know if you follow me on facebook, twitter or instagram I do a lot of lingerie modelling so for me in particular the idea of having a hair-free bikini area makes perfect sense! especially coming into the bikini season ;) I did some research on the different types of laser hair removal and the different clinics located in and around the Galway area and decided to go with Galway Laser and Skincare Clinic for treatment of my bikini, underarms and sideburns (yes I said sideburns, lol). I am hoping to get the obvious.. legs, done at some point but that can be for my next laser experience :)

The Galway Laser and Skincare Clinic offers the medical grade quantum system which is a gentle, non-invasive & long lasting solution to unwanted hair on the face, back, legs, underarm, bikini line or any other body area. Treatment is suitable for both Men & Women. 

At first I wondered if the IPL laser hair removal system was good enough as I had heard some rumors not to get IPL as according to some it "isn't as effective" as some other forms of laser. I was skeptical, simply because I didn't know.. so I took it upon myself to do some research and this was also a question I asked during my initial consultation with the clinic. What I found out was that in fact there are different levels of IPL some of which can be less effective, however, the medical grade quantum system is on-par with the best laser hair removal systems available to date. 

My Journey So Far


Step 1) Consultation
I booked in for my initial consultation (your consultation is free of charge). I asked all of the questions I had.. such as about the hair removal system that's in use at the clinic, whether the process was painful, how many sessions it would take to be hair free etc... etc... I had never had laser hair removal so I was intrigued to have my questions answered. The lovely Irene guided me through the process and answered all of my questions. 

Questions Answered:
 HOW DOES IT WORK?
 A concentrated beam of light is aimed at hair. The light is absorbed by the pigment, which weakens the follicle enough to reduce future growth. The beam of light is attracted to colour therefore darker hair responds best to treatment. White, red or blonde hair does not respond well, if at all to treatment. A consultation is advised to assess your suitability for treatment. Almost all areas of the face and body are suitable for treatment.
WHAT HAPPENS DURING TREATMENT?
 Your treatment begins by trimming back the hairs above the surface of the skin. You will be asked to wear goggles to protect your eyes from the bright light. Next a cool gel is applied to the treatment area. The hand piece then is applied to the skin and pulses of light disable the unwanted hairs. There are no hairs visible when leaving and the treated hairs will come to the surface and fall out over the following 7-14 days.
 WHAT DOES THE TREATMENT FEEL LIKE?
Each pulse feels like a sting or pinch similar to the snap of a rubber band with a little heat for 2-3 minutes following treatment. Most clients tolerate the treatment well.
ARE THERE ANY POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS?
Side effects are rare. You may experience some slight reddening or local swelling on the treatment area; however this typically disappears within 1-2 hours. We advice to cease sun exposure before and after each treatment to avoid any complications with skin response. Following treatment, clients can generally return to normal activities immediately.
WHAT KIND OF RESULTS CAN I EXPECT?
This system has been approved by the FDA (Food & Drug Administration) to permanently reduce the number of hairs regrowing following treatment. The number of sessions depends on several factors including-area to be treated, color & texture of the hair, hormonal influences, medical history etc.
The average number of sessions is usually between 6-8, however a customised treatment programme will be designed & discussed with you at your initial consultation estimating how many treatments may be required. Maintaince sessions are often required to maintain the results- these can vary from a few months to a few years depending on the treatment area and the individual client.
What happened next... 
Once we had chatted through the process Irene did a patch test with the laser on my underarm - This is to make sure that I was a suitable candidate for laser hair removal. The patch test was fine and we arranged a date for my first treatment. 
Conclusion upon consultation: I was really impressed with the staff and clinic itself (lovely and clean and a pleasant, relaxing place to be in) so I couldn't wait to come back in to start the process! 



Step 2) Session 1 of laser hair removal
I was text a reminder of my appointment the day before which I think is a nice touch to any appointment I make - as it means I won't forget.
I must admit, although excited, I was nervous attending the first session - The nerves came from a fear of the pain and I hoped that I would be able to sit through the treatment. When I arrived at the clinic I remembered what a nice,calming place it was and my nerves lifted. 

The Treatment
Irene started my treatment with the underarms, which went by quickly, and then we moved on to the bikini followed by the sideburns. The whole process was just over an hour. 

Pain: I would be lying if I was to say it wasn't painful, the bikini in particular is quite painful in parts but it is most certainly bearable. The thing about it is it's so momentary it's hard to measure on a scale of 1-10 how painful it can be... I guess I would say maybe a 6 on the most sensitive areas. However, this is literally like a pin-prick and it lasts 1second when the laser initially hits, there was no delayed pain at all! So for the sake of one second of an "ouch" it's definitely worth it if you keep in mind the results. If you are someone who has previously been waxed then it is less painful than waxing! 

I chatted to Irene the whole way through the treatment so she did a good job at keeping my mind off the laser and distracting me which meant the time flew by!
In terms of getting the bikini area done there was no awkwardness at all and you can leave your underwear on and simply adjust it. 
It was all over before I knew it! :) 

Why I decided to remove my sideburns...
While the underarms and bikini area may be a given I realise some of you may be wondering why I decided to get rid of my sideburns... I think this is a matter of preference depending on the individual, some people like to have hair there. However, because I have extremely dark hair I was always conscious of them and they irritated me. I didn't want to shave/wax them so the idea of laser hair removal seems perfect! I am so glad I took the leap because even after one session I think it looks a lot tidier when I have my hair pulled back off my face in a pony tail or plait.

Aftercare: 
I was advised not to wear deodorant, if possible, and not to shave unless necessary(as this makes it easier for Irene to test the effectiveness of the first treatment by seeing how loose the hairs are upon the next session). I was also advised not to have a bath or use a steamroom/sauna.

Results after 1 week: 
The hair is starting to grow back however out of curiosity I decided to lightly tug at one of the hairs in my underarm area and it fell off straight a way without any bother so I am taking this as a sign that the treatment is working effectively :) 

My next treatment is set for two weeks time (Monday week) so I will keep you posted on how I get on with my second session of hair removal. If you have any questions that you'd like me to answer feel free to message me on facebook or email info@shahirabarry.com 

In the mean time you can check out the Galway Laser and Skincare Clinic's website by clicking here of facebook by clicking here!  



Lots of Love,

Shahira Xo 


If your company would like a review or specific blog-post on a product, treatment, service or any other item to appear on www.shahirabarry.com email info@shahirabarry.com with the details.









Share:

1 comment

  1. Awsum blog . very nice post.
    Thanks for sharing this .

    http://skinlaserhairremoval.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig