Tuesday 29 October 2013

Big Bouncy Hair in no time!

Hey Blog Readers! 
images (4)
I can't believe it's Friday again!!! on one note - HELLOOO to the WEEKEND! but on another -my god the week's are going wayyy to fast for me to keep up! :/ :p
images (3)
Anyhow.. I've got a new best friend... so I thought since I like to share I'd share my new best friend with you ;)
images (5)
As you all know I have friggin'super long hair! (some may say too long, lol: but I like it that way ;) ) My grandfather, Abdul Bari, was Bangladeshi and my family have always said I have Indian hair as a result! I was even born with a full head of thick black hair! Naturally it is very straight... so due to it's length (that gives weight) and with it's natural straightness it all mixes together to give a concoction of hair that can, at times, be difficult to curl (or at least to hold a curl) and give volume too.
See for yourselves...
Photo-06-06-2013-10-07-45-768x1024
Photo-06-06-2013-10-09-52-544x1024


BTW (by the way ;) ) Yourells in Galway did my hair (cut and colour)  right before I left for L.A. to read that blog post on "Getting L.A. ready" just click here!!






So anyhow on to my new best friends....
I have used curling tongs...
babyl-24_lrg
I have used curling wands...
images (7)
I have spent ages backcombing... (btw-not good for your hair so I try to avoid this)
the-chore-that-is-backcombing-a-review-L-FE4dvO
I have used Bumpits...
images (8)
I have used sponges...
17cm-67-Black-Sponge-Hair-Clip-Insert-Foam
&
I have used Sleep in Rollers...
Pink_curl_roller_drawsring_bag-600x600
Basically I have tried everything in search for big bouncy hair!!! :p
All of these methods are fine... In particular I do like the Sleep in Rollers (you can read a blog I did on these and watch a YouTube video by clicking here!). However, having said that... one thing all of these have in common (besides the Bumpits and sponges-which just aren't comfortable to wear for hours on end and they do give volume but aren't a curling product) is that they all take quite  a long time... even the sleep in rollers- yes you can put them in, go to bed, wake up and take them out but in terms of the time that they take to actually curl your hair it does take a couple of hours-which if you haven't put them in over night and you're in a rush-isn't exactly going to be the most practical technique lets face it!
I'm talking a 'quick fix'... imagine you have half an hour to do both your make-up and hair and for whatever reason you want to look the bomb ;) haha, in that case these bad-boyz will become your new bestie too!! :)
What are they....???
HEATED ROLLERS!!!
images (10)
Yup there are people out there who will give out and say "blah blah heat isn't good on your hair" etc... however I am not recommending these for every day use... In fact I think on a day-to-day bases you shouldn't do much with your hair unless you have to... In general I tend to sleep with my hair in a plait... this serves a couple of purposes... firstly it keeps your hair off your face which can cause spots and blemishes or your hair can simply get in the way and get tangled up, secondly: it's not to harsh on your hair which styles such as a top knot or pony tail can be: They pull at the root of your hair and in the long run cause some damage and Thirdly: you wake up with nicely crimped and wavy hair! In the morning all you need to do is give it a quick brush and run some serum or hair spray through it to get rid of any fly a ways and boom!
Below is my hair when I simply put it in a plait over night... You could say it's my "every day" hair look..

1001530_614654341891538_785244367_n
However if for some reason you do need to look extra glam and you're in a bit of a rush heated rollers are seriously fantastic!
I use the Babyliss Thermo Ceramic Rollers. I purchased the rollers in Boots a couple of months ago and let me tell you I am in love!x! They retail for approx €35-40!
images (1)
What I love about these rollers: 
  •  They give lots of volume starting from the roots, something that is much harder to achieve with a curling iron!
  • There are twenty rollers which is more than enough for almost any hair type!
  • They heat extremely quickly and are ready to use within minutes!
  • The surface of the Babyliss Ceramic rollers is black velvet which keeps hair in place and isn't going to burn you when you touch it!
  • There are three different sizes: large, medium and small. I use the large ones on the top layers of my hair because it encourages more volume at the root and I think this is important on the crown area where I like to achieve the most volume but a part from that it's preference (and what I'm feeling that day... I do like to switch it up) as to where to place the medium and small rollers-the small rollers give a tighter curl-so it depends on the look you're going for and there is no right/wrong.
rollers3
What could be improved... 
I really like the crab claw clips and I find these really good for holding the curlers in place... However, there is by no means enough of them and it may be worth investing in some more yourself if buying this product. There are only ten of these  crab claw clips and then lots of metal clips-maybe some people might find these metal clips useful but I find them a little hard to use and not great for securing the roller in place properly.
rollers4
The Biggest BONUS... 
Heated rollers are Such a TIME SAVER! I have lots of hair and yet it only takes me roughly 10 minutes to put all the heated rollers in and once I have done that I can go on with my day and continue getting ready- Paint my nails or do my make-up... by the time I'm finished getting ready I can simply pull the curlers out and enjoy immediate results!
Once you have taken the rollers out you can adjust the curls if needed to your desired result: personally I normally just run my fingers through my hair and shake my head about which creates extra volume.. I add a spray of hairspray and then I'm ready to rock ;)
The hairspray I've been using is Aussie Volume hairspray... I like it as it does increase volume but I know my friend, Tina, hates it so it depends on what you're looking for... This spray definitely gives volume and hold but only use a small amount and spray from a distance as it is so strong that it can become sticky... so maybe test this product first to see if you like it ;)
31yMEtPZk5L._SY300_
I am currently in America and although they do take up quite a bit of luggage room I had to take my heated rollers with me! (of course!). However, the downside to having Irish brought electronics, of any kind, in America is that the wattage here is different so any heated appliances only goes to half the heat that they would get to at home... YET despite this I have still been using my rollers and I am still LOVING the results! ;)
images (9)
My hair before... 

Big Curly Hair
1000078_605474439476195_1685986640_n




Bouncy waves with volume
Long loose curls 
Side waves with loose curl
side plait with waves

Long loose curls
Hair 1/2 up 1/2 down with waves
Tips when using heated rollers: 
  • Always use a heat protection! this is self explanatory: as when using any heated device on your hair you have to remember to protect your hair first! I use Salon Chic Professional Moroccan and Argon oil Heat defence spray! I like this product because it protects the hair but also nourishes with Moroccan oil, Argon oil and Vitamin B5! It's paraben free formula also creates incredible shine and hydration! 
images (2)
  • Give the most attention to the crown of your head particularly if you are seeking volume! (I use the large rollers here).
  • when dealing with the front section of hair always curl a way from your face... the only exception to this rule is if you have a fringe or bangs-in this case I feel there is a nicer result when this section is curled in the way(this is how I do my bangs).
Velcro-Roller-Victoras-Secret-217x300
I am such a heated rollers convert! I love them and cannot recommended them enough! I am thinking of doing a YouTube tutorial on these... so if that is something you would be interested in please let me know and I'll get on it :)
Thanks for stopping by! 
Until next Friday! 
HAPPY weekend! and Happy big hair day! 
Lots of Love, 
Shahira Xo
logo2
If your company would like a review or specific blog-post on a product, treatment, service or any other item to appear on www.shahirabarry.com email info@shahirabarry.com with the details.





Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig