Thursday 5 December 2013

cheap and cheerful makeup recommendations

Please Note: Unfortunately this post was one of the blogs (pre.28th of July 2014) that suffered a 'Blogger' crash.. which saw all images vanishing! I have tried to replace the images from the crash as best as I can. However images of me with products etc.. may be lost as a result and therefore the images you see may not match the text(which is original and was not effected by the crash). My blog has therefore had to start fresh and all blogs starting from July 29th 2014 are correct with the appropriate, original and correct images but unfortunately the same can not be said for images lost in posts before this date. Apologies for any inconvenience caused. Shahira xo

Hey Blog Readers! 

I realise that at Primark prices you can't go too wrong with Penney's make-up because lets face it even if you don't like something you haven't busted the bank ;) but there are some products that I would recommend against others and also some products that I actually use in replace of some other high end brands... SO I thought I'd share them with you :)

The brand I always go for in Primark is Catrice.

Catrice products that I have tried and tested

I am a concealer freak -It's the one item I have to have in my bag at all times... put me on a desert island and tell me I can only have one make-up product and concealer is what I'd go for because it covers dark circles and imperfections.

Concealer Palette: 
I love this cheap and cheerful concealer palette and I use this before foundation. The main colours that I go for here are the salmon/pink which I use to correct any "purpleness" in the under eye area and the green to conceal any redness. The other colours are ok to but I prefer a thicker consistency for my actual concealer and I use this palette more as a 'corrector'. I have used a similar make-up forever palette and I would give them both the same review but I wouldn't re-purchase the make-up forever as it is too expensive for what it is and this one is just as good!





A must for me is the Catrice Camouflage Cream-This is seriously excellent and it's very comparable to MAC studio finish concealer! It has a thick consistency but it covers everything and it's easy to blend :)



The catrice light reflecting highlighter is again good for brightening up the under eye area. I would recommend this product as it is purse friendly and it does work however it is not as comparable as the Camouflage cream to higher end products.  Personally I would love this product if they did it in a lighter or more yellow toned colour. 



'Better than flase lashes' mascara: 
I don't believe in buying expensive mascara... I've done it before but the truth is you can get a 'cheapy' that is just as good if not better! I love this mascara by Catrice, although it might not be for everyone because it makes your eyelashes really thick and full! and it may be too clumpy for some people's taste (due to it's large brush )however, personally, I love big brushes on Mascara's -the bigger the better :) 



A big thumbs up goes to the Catrice Eyeliner! 'Smokey eyes'
I would recommend this product above other highend brands because it is as great as it's cheap and cheerful price!! It glides on perfectly and with precision but the brush on the end allows you to also smoke it out! I really don't like Mac 'Smoluder' -Don't get me wrong it's a good product in terms of it's pigment, colour and ease of use but it wears down ridiculously fast which means you have to keep a topper handy and it's gone almost as soon as you've brought it! I would go for the catrice product over mac!
 

Liquid liner
The Catrice liquid eyeliner is good and I especially like the waterproof version.. I would say it's as good as any other of it's design however I would tend to prefer a marker pen for liquid liner (I believe you can get these at catrice so I may try it in the near future ;) ) 

Prime and Fine
I don't like spending much on primers. Prime and Fine feels beautiful and silky smooth on the skin however the tub packaging isn't the most hygienic so you have to be careful not to contaminate it. My favorite primer is Gosh 'velvet touch'. 

Foundation: 
The photo finish foundation, is in my view, only an 'OK' product. It is very nice on the skin and it looks fab! however, I don't like the perfumed smell as I find overly perfumed makeup makes me break out. With that said everyone's skin is different so perhaps it may work for you.. It's a good back-up if you run out of your usual foundation. 

I don't like the Catrice 'Made to stay' highlighter pen. It does give a beautiful shine however it's quite like a crayon in consistency and it doesn't blend well! I find this can leave harsh lines and look uneven, unblended and messy. This product also flakes easily!  I don't think the shine alone from this is worth it and I won't be picking it up again. 


The thin highlighter pencil is a little better however I only use this product directly under the eyebrow and nowhere else! I'm not sure if I would buy this again... I do like it as a eyebrow bone highlight but that's about it.. I guess you could also dab a bit on the cupids bow but it is the same as the above product in consistency and 'blendability'.. it's simply thinner in it's packaging and therefore more precise. 

Remember "all that glitters is not gold"... Just because a product is expensive it doesn't make it good and it certainly doesn't make it better than some of it's cheaper dupes... sometimes you can get cheap products which are very comparable if not better than some high end products. After all...make-up is made with a lot of the same ingredients  regardless of what the brand is and it's really a matter of trial and error to find out which are worth the splurge and which you can get without breaking the bank ;) 

Lots of Love, 
Shahira Xo
If your company would like a review or specific blog-post on a product, treatment, service or any other item to appear on www.shahirabarry.com email info@shahirabarry.com with the details.

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig