Tuesday 12 June 2012

DIY Jeans!

Hey Blog Readers!


I know I haven't been great for blogging lately-I just haven't had very much time but this is a quick blog on creating your own ripped jeans!            Old-to-New!

Personally I love the ripped jeans look!!-I know it's not for everyone and some people prefer to keep their style clean and tidy-but for me I love a bit of 'Funky' and the ripped jeans are very funky and you can see this style on a number of celebrities at the moment! My style doesn't fit a niche at all: it just depends on my mood really and I'm willing to try almost anything-therefore my style icons range from Kim Kardashian who always sports the sleek feminine look to Rihanna who's a lot edgier and lately I'm loving Rita Ora's style. When MTV's 'The Hills' was on I used to love Audrina Patridge's sense of style-which included a lot of rocky Tshirts etc...

 

 



 


I have another pair of ripped jeans that I brought awhile back but they're not really as ripped and crazy as I wanted... It's actually quite hard to find a pair of ripped jeans on the high street so last night I got the idea to make my own :)

It does take some time to do so I recommend starting the quest when you have a free evening and you can sit down on the couch and pull apart your jeans of choice.

All You Need:

  • A Scissor
  • A Tweezer
Note:
Although you can't tell by just looking at jeans they are actually made with two strands of material/elastic: One that goes horizontally across and one that goes vertically up and down the leg of the jean. For this reason there are normally two different colour elastics and once you put a tear in the jean you can see this: in the case of blue jeans often one elastic is blue and the other is white (this is how you can see a frayed look if your jeans tear in time from being too long at the bottom) with white jeans both elastics that are used are white which makes them a little difficult to determine which ones which-Basically to make it easier on yourself try to start your jean-cutting experience with blue jeans ans not white :)


Steps:

  1. I recommend trying your jeans on first to figure out where you want the holes and how many holes you want: Once you've decided you can take a pen and mark where you want to cut. 
  2. Take the jeans off again and make your cuts in the jeans using the scissor: The easiest way to do this is to fold the jeans down the center of the leg so the side seem is now in the front and middle of the material. 
  3. If you simply want holes in your jeans takes the edge of the scissor and fray the material by using a back and forth motion on the perimeter of the hole you created.
In this picture I am not cutting I'm simply fraying the material by using the edges of the scissor.


4. However if you would prefer a look as pictured below-then it will take a bit longer...


-This is where the tweezer comes in: As you can see from the picture below the material going horizontally is white while the material going vertically is blue-you need to find the edge of the blue material and pull it out using the tweezer-once the first few are pulled out and the white is exposed it gets easier and quicker. 

-To do this you need to have loosened the material first-as the blue elastic wont pull apart unless two cuts are made: this will determine how thick the section of exposed white elastic will be (Cut an incision at the bottom and top of where you want this section to be). 

In the above picture my hand is going completely through the hole I created and the material you see is how thick I want the section of white elastic to be: once I pull the blue elastic out ;)

Pull the blue elastics out until you reach your desired effect (on some of mine I left some blue to give a stripped effect).
 


I am delighted that I decided to give it a go because its meant that I've taken a pair of jeans-which were old and cheap (from NewLook) and that were hardly ever out of the cupboard!and I've created a pair of jeans which are completely different and that I love-all for FREE!-Giving my old jeans a new lease of LIFE!! :)

Do you think you'll try this home DIYing for yourself? ;)


Lots of Love
Shahira Xo


Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig