Friday 13 July 2012

Requested: HOW to get into the modelling industry

Please Note: Unfortunately this post was one of the blogs (pre.28th of July 2014) that suffered a 'Blogger' crash.. which saw all images vanishing! I have tried to replace the images from the crash as best as I can. However images of me with products etc.. may be lost as a result and therefore the images you see may not match the text(which is original and was not effected by the crash). My blog has therefore had to start fresh and all blogs starting from July 29th 2014 are correct with the appropriate, original and correct images but unfortunately the same can not be said for images lost in posts before this date. Apologies for any inconvenience caused. Shahira xo


Hey Blog Readers :)

"Can you give me advice on how I could go about getting into Modelling?? :/ ?"


Firstly to anyone who has asked me this question (it must be the question I get asked more than any other) I'm sorry it may have taken a while for me to get back to you: As I explain in my Vlog I started trying to reply when people first started asking but then I'd get asked again and I'd either have to go and find the email/mail and copy and paste it back to the new person or try to write it all out again-which is easy to forget something as I have lots to say :)
                               Lately my reply to people has been that I'd do an in-detail blog and that way I'd only have to send the link instead of attempting to write up a long reply to each person.


I've been awhile trying to find the time to do this one-as I knew it would take a long time to do: That's why instead of trying to write out an 'essay' on the subject I thought the easiest thing to do would be to make a VLog (video blog)-that way I can just blab on and say what I want to say (it's almost 15mins long-which is YouTube's maximum) and this way if I forgot anything I could easily fill it in here :) comprendo :) lol, 

The only advice I can give is from my own experience-as that's all I know. Of course there are other ways of getting into the industry-and you may even know someone in the industry who can help you out but I hope if nothing else this blog might make things a little clearer in your head...

Firstly give my YouTube video on this topic a watch by clicking the link below :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsOsQkPZ-CA&feature=plcp



What did you think?? any questions?? leave them in the message box below or on YouTube and I'll get back to you :) 


What I'd like to Add to what I said in my video:

  • ANYONE can be a model-I genuinely mean that!! There are so many different categories and types of  'model'  that everyone can fit into one of them! there's commercial-adverts etc: the preference for the commercial section are ordinary people and actresses/actors-who the general public can relate to, Lingerie and swimsuit model, fitness model, plus size model, high fashion and runway model, petite model
 





And the same goes for male models-different shapes and sizes-you just need to find where you fit in and remember you can never be everyone's cup of tea:
Be realistic about what type of modelling you suite and you can enjoy the industry :)
  • I hate to say it but every second person claims to be a model-especially in the facebook and social media world that we live in: Now I know I said above anyone can be a model-and I stick to that but please do it because YOU LOVE it and YOU dream of it! Do it for the right reasons: not because it's the popular thing to do, your boyfriend wants to date a model, your mum wants to say her daughter is a model or that your competitive with other girls-the only real reason to follow your dreams is because they are just that-***YOUR DREAMS***

  • To be a model you have to act like a model-what I mean by that is look after yourself-your body, your skin, your hair...have a routine that you stick too: try not to drink too much alcohol, eat foods that are bad for you etc... live and follow a healthy lifestyle.

  •  Rejection is regular: you won't be everyone's cup of tea: If you want to do modelling get used to the word 'NO'-it's not smooth sailing: it's peeks and valleys, twists and turns!

  • "Bitchiness" is also regular: its a tough topic to talk about and often in interviews I'm asked 'are the other girls bitchy/competitive' etc... the easy answer is to say "No-not at all!we're all best friends and we get on like a house on fire" but that would be lying: it is a very competitive industry and you come across bitchiness regularly! In the form of some other models (not all-majority are normal and lovely) but also in the form of people who aren't happy that you are trying to do something that is different than the norm-I've had other models delete me on facebook when finding out we were meant to work together, write up statuses that were blatantly about me: wanting to hurt my feelings because of opportunities I was offered in the US (a silly move none the less), Friends who are no longer friends since I got into modelling, dating websites set up about me and nasty comments posted about me on the internet at any given opportunity, I've also had a girl physically attack me on a night out-sometimes I have been left feeling like it's a 'Mean Girls' (hope you've watched that movie), 'Highschool' situation:You need a tough skin and ITS NOT EASY!

  • How to over come the bitchiness?? Don't play the same game! I honestly believe being a negative nasty person will get you nowhere in life!-firstly it means you are putting your energy into thinking about another person too much!-instead of focusing on yourself and your goals, secondly, it looks bad to others working with you if you are being mean about another person-they won't respect that! and also remember positivity breeds positivity! There is room for everyone-I feel like some models, in particular, feel the need to be overly competitive-like there can only be one model in Ireland: nobody is the same-all have something different to offer: for one job they may need a blonde, for another a brunette, a curvy model etc... etc... nobody can fit all ideals.  HOWEVER, the nastiness is a minority rather than a majority and you also meet some really great and interesting people-and you become friends with people of all ages and from all walks of life!

  • It's not as glamorous as it looks-Its long hours, long periods of time without food on some occasions and I am normally WRECKED after a shoot: straight to bed!Often uncomfortable shoes/clothes/poses, it can also be emotionally draining but if you can by pass all that and still LOVE it, like I do,-then it is for you! 

  • It's a very aesthetic job-so also be prepared for regular opinions (including some bad) based solely upon your looks alone-which you normally wouldn't get at such an intense level in a regular 9-5 job.  
BEAUTY PAGEANTS/COMPETITIONS
Beauty pageants-and heats etc... are great!-You begin to meet the right people from other models to agency directors, makeup artists..the list is endless.. You also practise your runway walking and public speaking, you may get press coverage and lets face it you get a chance to dress up for the evening and get your hair and makeup done :)

BUT
PLEASE DON'T PAY ANY MONEY TO ENTER any competition!! any legit competition will never ask you to pay! I was horrified when I learnt recently that a competition I was asked to help run was asking each girl for 200e from either herself or a sponsor to be in the final of the comp. I was even more shocked when a girl who knows the ins-outs of modelling really well travelled for a comp which had a 1,000e entrance fee to be paid upfront and this didn't even include travel expenses etc... Don't get me wrong I completely understand why someone would want a title and why girls pay this money when asked-desperate to follow their dreams but we live in recessionary times please don't waste your money!-there are tons of comps that don't need payment!

To clear-up what I said in my vlog: if you enter even the heat for a competition-for example Miss Galway and the Winner goes on to Miss Ireland please make sure that you understand and acknowledge the requirements not only for Miss Galway but also for Miss Ireland and Miss World (as the winner of Miss Ireland goes to Miss World). The truth is there are very few girls who meet all of the requirements-therefore they may not have any requirements for a heat: so that they have enough girls to enter but realistically only 1/2 maybe 3 (at a push) girls suit the requirements and the competition is really between them: the others are merely fillers-so that there is enough girls to run a heat/competition.  I was saddened to hear that the true winner of Miss Galway was dethroned of her title due to having a baby and that Miss Mayo, Maire Hughes, was dethroned of her crown as she was 'too old': PLEASE BE AWARE OF THE REQUIREMENTS! If you don't suite them I am not saying it is a reason not to enter there are so many benefits of being in the pageants-as I mentioned above. I have been in many competitions and I haven't met the height requirement but I have still learnt so much and had a great time!-So its not a reason not to enter but just don't be disheartened if you don't win.

The Benefits:
The point I was trying to make during this blog is that modelling really isn't as glamorous or as easy as you are led to believe-as with anything there are some down sides so you really have to have a love for it!x! You need a tough skin but if you can gain that you are half way there: modelling brings you places you never thought you'd be(-literally), opens up doors into loads of different avenues, helps you to grow your people skills, your confidence (if you let it) and you become friends wit people of all ages and from all walks of life-it is a very social industry :)

My advice:
Don't give up the day job/study, Don't quit school/university etc... to become 'a model' as there is no guarantee that you will be successful: I spent 3 years in college after working really hard in my leaving cert and I worked after university in random jobs and it is only now that I have already had successes  in modelling that I can focus on modelling as a career. 

I've been trying to think of other pointers that I can give as to answer the question 'how do I get into modelling?' but I feel as though I've covered everything I know in my VLog-if you have any question be sure to post them and I would be happy to try to answer them to the best of my ability :)


Follow me on facebook and twitter to keep up-to-date with my modelling, blogs, competitions etc... :)


I'm holding a competition on my facebook 'Like' page and you can WIN: Sleep in rollers, impress nails-manicure and pedicure, Karora's new instant tan and Ja'Mall buster eyelashes!All you have to do is 'like' my page and like/share the competition photo to be in with a chance of winning!

Lots of Love, 
Shahira Xo






Share:

2 comments

  1. Great post and some really sound advice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog shahira, i agree about the competitions, and i know the one your on about, its a huge scam which has taken advantage of so many young girls. xxx

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig